“Lurgan Workhouse 1841-1929. The workhouse was opened to serve the poor of Lurgan in 1841. In the mid-1840’s, during the famine, there were 403 inmates. This mural is dedicated to all the men, women and children who lived worked and died here during very harsh times. In 1929 it became Lurgan And Portadown District Hospital. Since 1972 it has been known as Lurgan Hospital.” The mural is across the street from the hospital. Russell Drive/Tandragee Road, Lurgan.
Copyright © 2009 Peter Moloney