This is the arch in Milltown Street, Dungannon. The panels show (left) William, Prince Of Orange and (right) the B-Special and UDR on either side of an Ulster Banner in the shape of Northern Ireland, and, (left) Milltown Arch Committee, Dungannon, and (right) the surnames of the thirteen apprentice boys who shut the gates of Derry against the forces of James II in 1688.
The Castledawson War Memorial lists names of local people who died in British forces from WWI, WWII, and the Troubles – the latter panel is visible in image above, listing three UDR soldiers Arrell, Lennox, and McQuillan, and Reserve RUC member Evans.
“This monument was erected by the republican people of greater Ballymurphy in proud and loving memory of all those volunteers from the area who gave their lives in the fight for Irish freedom.” Volunteers McParland, Kane, Maguire, Meehan, Sloan, McCormick, Campbell, Magee, Dougal, McCrudden, Clarke, Parker, Quigleey, Mulholland, O’Rawe, McGartland, Mulvenna, Pettigrew, Bryson, Teer, Stone, McGrillen, Tolan, McWilliams, Delaney, O’Neill, Jordan, Doyle, McCracken, McGeown. “Unveiled by Gerry Adams 12th May 1985. I ndíl cuimhne i gcónaí ag na poblachtánaigh ón cheantar Barr Cluanaí. Also in memory of the civilians who died at the hands of the British Army, RUC, UDR, and loyalist extremists.” The launch date of 1985 refers to the plaque’s former location in Glenalina Road (seen in 2001 and 2002).
“This cairn was erected in memory of Ranger Cyril Smith QGM 2nd battalion the Royal Irish Rangers 24th October 1990. Ranger Smith was killed rescuing a civilian driver who had been tied to a car bomb by terrorists. He succeeded in releasing the driver and helping him to safety. As he knowingly re-entered the danger area to warn his comrades the bomb detonated. For this action he was posthumously awarded the Queen’s Gallantry Medal.”
“In memory of the part-time members of A Coy. 9 UDR who were murdered by terrorists: 24289588 Pte. Russell HJ 12-13th July 1972, 24582042 Pte. Carlton SA 8th January 1982, ex. A Coy: serving 5 UDR Lieutenant Kerr WC 2nd November 1977.”
(The UDR was merged with the RIR to form the Royal Irish Regiment in 1992.) Both memorials are adjacent to the larger WWI war memorial along Marine Highway, Carrickfergus.
Four small boards from Ballyearl Drive in New Mossley, at the bonfire (see Welcome to New Mossley) and on fencing around an area to be re-landscaped. 36th (Ulster) Division, “Three Scottish soldiers murdered by scum 1971″ (John McCaig, Jospeh McCaig, Dougald McCaughey), and “New Mossley supports our troops.”
The UDR board would next year (2010) travel across the street, to the fencing around the bonfire area as a pitch and playground were built.
Here is a set of 2009 images of the left half of “Freedom Corner” on Newtownards Road.
Compared to the 2005 images:
the background of the UFF mural has been repainted;
“Loyalist East Belfast” replaces the letters “UFF”;
the Red Hand Of Ulster replaces “Feriens Tego” (From Ripley’s Believe It Or Not, 1953: “The strangest victory in all history: Heremon [Érimón] O’Neill racing a rival chieftain for possession of Ireland became the first man to touch its soil by cutting off his own hand and hurling it ashore! His sacrifice made Heremon the first king of Ulster, 1015 B.C. The red hand of Ulster is still the provinces coat of arms thousands of years later.” Most people believe it not.) Notice that outline is of the six-county Northern Ireland rather than of the historical Ulster;
and the “Ulsters Past Defenders” mural has been completely repainted with the emblems of the UDR and B-Specials at the centre (“This is dedicated to those who served in our conflict – we forget not”, “Formed in 1970, the Ulster Defence Reg. was an infrantry [sic] regiment of the British army intended to carry out security duties in NI. It was later disbanded in 1992. A total of 197 members were killed through the troubles”, “Formed in 1920, the Ulster Special Constabulary had been set up taking action against the IRA. It was divided into three categories A, B, and C specials. Later in 1970 they were disbanded. Then the UDR replaced them.”)