Six panels on the Neilsbrook Loyalist arch: Randalstown Sons Of Ulster flute band, Siege Of Derry, Drumcree “United we stand”, 36th (Ulster) Division, William Of Orange, Sir Edward Carson. For more images from the estate see Loyalist Randalstown.
“This plaque was presented by the officers and members of Randalstown Sons Of Ulster flute band on Saturday 17th April 1999 in memory of all the Loyalist people of Ulster who have suffered at the hands of the enemies of our land.”
Blackthorn Way (at Brackenburn), Neilsbrook Park, Neilsbrook Road, Randalstown
William Frederick McFadzean of the 14th (Young Citizens) battalion Royal Irish Rifles was awarded the Victoria Cross for throwing himself on a box of grenades that had fallen into the trench during the Battle Of The Somme, July 1st, 1916. The figure on the left is Edward Carson. The plaque reads “Sydenham roll of honour to those who gave their lives in the Great War and to those who haven’t been traced but are known unto God.”
Northern Protestants prepare to resistance the Home Rule act. Clockwise from top left, gun-running on the Clyde Valley, the Covenant, Carson and the Central Antrim Volunteers (see also M04206), mounted rifles of the Ulster Volunteers (see also M00545).
The plaque reads “They shall not grow old/As those who were left behind grow old//Age shall not weary them/Or the years condemn//As the going down of the sun/And in the morning//We will remember them” (Binyon ‘For The Fallen‘)
Sir Edward Carson founded the Ulster Volunteers with James Craig in 1912. At the outbreak of the Great War, its volunteers served in the British Army in the 36th (Ulster) Division and died on the fields of Flanders. “Here lies a soldier.”
“The arming, the training, and the sacrifice of The People’s Army.” The arming (left) comes from the guns smuggled into Larne on the Clyde Valley. The training shown here (right) is probably Ballywalter. The sacrifice (bottom) is the 36th (Ulster) Division going over the top in James Beadle’s painting ‘Charge of the 36th (Ulster) Division, Somme, 1st July 1916’. Inverary Drive, Belfast.
This is the second generation of a series of boards on Ballysilland Road depicting (as the info board states “a series of scenes from the 20th century which have strong resonance with the local community”. The first generation can be seen in 20th Century Northern Ireland. Most of the changes are at the start/left-hand side: the info board replaces the first two panels, which were of the Cavehill Road and the Clyde Valley, and (next in line) only one of the three scenes of Belfast on Ulster Day survives. Carson signing the covenant is followed by a new double-sized panel of Fernhill House, specifically of “the 2nd West Belfast Battalion of the UVF … on parade”, and then the rest as before, but with the order of the “Sunningdale Agreement of 1973” and “Ulster Workers Council’s ‘Constitutional Stoppage’ of May 1974” panels reversed (i.e. now in chronological order). “Parliament Buildings at Stormont, opened by the Prince of Wales (the future King Edward VIII) on 16 November 1932, completes the mural.”
“Presentation of colours to South Belfast Volunteers by Edward Carson 1913.” Broadway, Belfast. According to the Digital Repository Of Ireland, however, the scene depicted on the left is Carson and the Central Antrim Volunteers in 1914.
This Portadown mural combines the Ulster Volunteers of 1912 with the contemporary UVF. The panels show “UVF gun-smuggler 1913”, “Firearms training 1913”, and “Sir Edward Carson about to address troops at Portadown railway station” while the roll of honour lists modern-day volutneers Joey Neill, Horace [Harris] Boyle, Wesley Summerville [Somerville], Derek McFarlane, Jackie Marshall, Wilson “Winky” [also “Winkie”] Fry, Robin Jackson, Richard Jameson, Mark “Sqid” Elliott. This is progress compared to the previous mural, shown below, which had hooded gunmen active in the centre of the mural, with the crest of the 36th (Ulster) Division on the side-wall.
From left to right: a Union Flag, the emblem of the USSF [Ulster Special Service Force, elite units within the Ulster Volunteers], Carson and the Covenant, the gunrunning ship Clyde Valley, a red hand in a garland, crossed “1914” rifles, the memorial to the gunrunning near Chaine Memorial, soldiers going over the top, Ulster Tower, and a cross marking a grave.
This is the scene in the outdoor seating to the Rex Bar on the Shankill Road. The arch is dedicated to the 36th (Ulster) Division at the Battle Of The Somme. On the side of the betting office, Carson signs the Ulster Covenant (Mo2454), Carson reviews the Ulster Volunteers (Mo2453), and a farmer’s wife protects the farm, both during WWI and from “sectarian attack from across the border” (M02452). The Union Flag to the left is in progress. Shankill Road at (formerly) Moscow Street.